Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Mutt and Me

Our paths crossed early in the morning; in the middle of a shady spot on a side street. I was in my car, driving to work. He was on his four paws, sauntering across the road, headed who knows where.

For just a moment, it was easy to envy him. He was obviously setting his own pace and charting his own path. Most impressive though, he was oblivious to my presence.

On the other hand, I was running late and thus, neither my time nor my pace were really my own. As for MY path? Well, that was all too familiar. I had to steer around him, but otherwise, my car could have probably driven itself to the office.

But if there had been time, I might have stopped to pet that mutt. (And I use “mutt” in the most affectionate and accurate way possible. After all, mutts were the dogs of my youth.) If time had allowed, I might have parked the car, patted his head, pulled his ears, and engaged in a meaningful, though one-sided, conversation with a mutt, right there in the middle of a shady spot on a side street 

Unfortunately, what might have been yielded to what had to be, and we went our separate ways.

I spent that day in climate-controlled air, under artificial light. He probably spent the day in a cool, dark spot, under a porch somewhere.

Event mutts have it pretty good sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment